Friday, December 5, 2008

No Film Fest Updates... Just News From the Indie Horror Front

There's not much to update on the festival front, I let you know about all the deadlines and festivals in December last week. You can see that post here. Otherwise, I think it's too early to talk about January, which is, of course, a big month for indie film. Also, let's just get through all this Christmas shit, right? So, anyhow, I'm just going to unload my inbox on you...

I got some random email from the guys at the Madison Horror Film Festival. Seriously, I don't think it was meant for me at all, but I got it anyhow. It looks like they're launching a once a month webcast on January 23rd, 2009 called "Bordello of Horror", hosted by Freakshow the zombie pimp and his beautiful and always tempthing Harlots of Horror. The show will include classic, independent and hard to find films, musical guests, trivia, horror news and more, here's a link to an information page on the webcast. I'll try to get in touch with them and see what it's all about...

A Dead Harvey favorite, "Blitzkrieg: Escape From Stalag 69", is finally being released after an impressive number of screenings. What will be available is the "Special SS Edition" of the DVD, it'll be released December 15th and pre-orders are now being taken. The new box art can be seen above there, pretty cool. This special feature will feature the full, uncut directors version of the film, deleted scenes, director's commentary, production stills, bloopers, a short film, trailer, and the original "Schindler's Lust" short that inspired the making of the film. If you're interested, feel free to pre-order a copy through Amazon here.

Now, a couple of interesting tidbits...

So, they're remaking one of my personal favorite films of all time, "They Live". Here's the article on THR.com. It looks like Universal and studio-based Strike Entertainment or going to do it and no writer is attached yet... (if any of you guys read this, do note that I'm available) Now, I'm WAY against remaking "Nightmare on Elm Street" and "Friday the 13th", but I'm not sure how I feel about this one. It could be ripe for a make-over, I don't know. The whole 'obey' thing, the half an hour fist fight between Roddy Piper and Keith David in the alley, quotes like "I came here to chew bubble gum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubble gum" and "I take the glasses off, she looks like a regular person, doesn't she? Put 'em back on... formaldehyde-face!" Makes me want to watch it right now... Classic movie. As long as it doesn't star a bunch of kids from the WB, I should be cool with it.

I can't say that "Halloween III" or "Fright Night Part 2" were among my favorite films of all time, but the writer-director of both of them is back with a low-budget indie feature called "Helliversity". His name is Tommy Lee Wallace and he co-scripted the film with Steve Langford, a longtime writer-producer on ABC's "Family Matters". What's interesting to me is that this is being financed through a new joint venture between FarCor Studios and Indusa Global and their mandate is to produce low-budget indie features. I keep telling ya, this is where it's at! This whole world is going to fall apart and when it does, indie horror will still be there... like a cockroach or... beer cans.

So, happy Friday! Go get aled and we'll talk to you next week...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think They Live is the only John Carpenter remake I can live with.

Hopefully they don't remake anything else from him although I hear The Thing made be remade.

Blogger said...

If you'd like an alternative to casually dating girls and trying to find out the right thing to say...

If you'd prefer to have women chase YOU, instead of spending your nights prowling around in filthy bars and restaurants...

Then I urge you to view this short video to find out a strong little secret that has the potential to get you your very own harem of hot women:

FACEBOOK SEDUCTION SYSTEM!!!