Thursday, September 20, 2007

New to Theatres - Sept 21, 2007

The only horror movie of note that comes out tomorrow is "Resident Evil: Extinction". Being completely honest, I was mildly amused by the first one, drastically bored by the second one and this third one will probably continue the downward trend. It's really being hyped up, so chances are that they're looking to have a big release and make their money before the bad word comes out. I can't say I'm excited for it...

In any case, there are a few interesting things about it. The Godfather of zombies, George A Romero, actually wrote the first draft of the script for it, though it was eventually rejected. Paul W. S. Anderson wrote the previous two and, ultimately, got to write the third, as well. (Anderson directed the first) I'm not sure what Paul W.S. Anderson would be most known for - my personal favorite of his is "Event Horizon", although he also did "Mortal Kombat", "Soldier" and "Alien vs. Predator", among others. This installment is directed by Russel Mulcahy, who happens to be the guy who directed "Highlander" (a personal favorite), along with various episodes of "Queer as Folk", various Duran Duran video's and a lot of stuff that I wouldn't want on my resume.

Check out the Resident Evil: Extinction site here.

Other movies opening tomorrow: Good Luck Chuck, Sydney White, The Jane Austen Book Club, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Into the Wild and The Last Winter.

I'd rather punch myself in the face than see Dane Cook in "Good Luck Chuck", but out of all these, I think "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" is worth checking out. Brad Pitt produced it and it's in limited release...

Previous Resident Evil films:

Paul W. S. Anderson films of note:


Russel Mulcahy films of note:

Next week, there's no horror movies coming out. Let's just look forward to "30 days of Night" on October 19th.

No comments: